narrative on print and detailed areas (bottom of
ABBEY : 'THE ROUND
The Round O - A St. Catherine wheel window,
twelve feet in diameter, in the upper part of the
gable of the south transept of the Abbey. It was placed
over the altar of St. Catherine, which stood in the
south transept. This prominent window is so associated
with Arbroath in the minds of its townsmen that its
namethe Round Ois occasionally
used as a name for the town.
The window, which can be seen a long way off at sea,
is a welcome landmark to sailors and fishermen. On
the road from Beechwood to St. Vigeans, at a point
near the road leading to Letham House, the Bell Rock
Lighthouse, fourteen miles distant, can be seen through
the centre of the Round O.
The drawings by John Adam,
Edinburgh. Reproduced by Amand Durand, Paris 1880.
Commentary extracted from 'Round about the Round O
with its poets', 1883.
CAN PURCHASE THIS PRINT IN OUR PRINT
THE COMPLETE SET OF EIGHT ABBEY PRINTS ARE AVAILABLE
AS A SET AT A SPECIAL PRICE